Monday, October 26, 2009

A Baking Kind of Day



Today is rather overcast in Florida though still warm but overcast always makes me feel like baking!
I had four VERY ripe bananas that were screaming to be made into banana bread but as of today I am on a month long dessert-free period. (But it is criminal to waste anything LOL) So I wanted a healthier version of bread and turned to my go-to recipe site recipezaar.com
I found an interesting looking recipe that actually included wheat bran which I currently have in abundance. It turned out great! I actually made it in muffin cups filling about a third of the way with batter and putting a dollop of All Fruit Strawberry Jam in and covering up with more batter. So yummy! Just the right amount of sweet and relatively guilt free as banana bread goes.
Here is the recipe

WEIGHT WATCHER FRIENDLY BANANA BREAD (LOW FAT)

4 medium bananas, very ripe
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup rolled oat
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 and prepare muffin tins with liners or grease 2 loaf pans.
In a large bowl, mash the bananas with the baking powder. Set aside.
In another bowl, combine the flours, wheat bran, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
Stir the egg, applesauce and canola oil into the banana mixture.
Add dry ingredients to wet in three batches. Folding to combine.
Stir in oats.
For muffins- measure out 1/4 c of batter for each muffin- bake for 25-30 minutes.
For loaves, split between w loaf pans- bake for 40-50 mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 10 mins on a wire rack.

I also plan to roast a whole chicken for dinner tonight. I got them on sale at Food Lion for .59 a pound and Liam LOVES roast chicken!
I'll give you that recipe as well. I buy McCormick Rotisserie seasoning and it tastes just like the ones you buy at the deli! I think it costs somewhere between $2.00 and $2.50 but if you have a coupon better yet; it lasts for ALOT of chickens so it's worth it for my household.

ROAST CHICKEN

Take thawed chicken and sprinkle Rotisserie seasoning in cavity. Sprinkle over outside of chicken to coat. Place in greased casserole dish (at least 8 1/2 x 11).
Roast at 425 degrees for 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours. There will be sizzling sounds but this is very normal.
When the chicken pulls easily away from the bone it is done. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice and a veggie or salad. (Note: serving size and cooking time will depend on the size of chicken.)

-Dessy

No comments:

Post a Comment